Class name: Grade 1 and 2 Nature Study and Literature
Tutors: Tenessa Hofer and Heather McCollister
This week’s focus: Meeting our Grade 1 and 2 students! We are excited!
Seeds (pg. 18-20 “Exploring Nature with Children”),
Intro to Around the World with Picture Books
Essentials: To be completed this week
For Nature Study:
1) Choose a day in the week to go on a short nature walk. Observe plants and trees there. Ask your child if they think it would be important for a seed to travel away from the parent plant. Spend some time collecting various seeds. Choose a couple seeds to look closely at and sketch your seeds in your nature journals.
2) Review pages 18-19 with your child
1) Ask your child about the book read in class, All the Places to Love, and have him/her ask the family about the places they love.
Of all the places to love, I love _________________the best. Where else can you ________________.
For example, Of all the places to love, I love the top of a mountain the best. Where else can you feel the wind on your face, absorb in the 360°view and wonder at all of creation.
2) Complete Writing with Ease Week 1.
Enrichment: (Optional) Select several books on seeds to read with your child:
– The Tiny Seed by Eric Carle
– A Seed is Sleepy by Diana Aston
– Ten Seeds by Ruth Brown
– From Seed to Plant by Gail Gibbons
– How a Seed Grows by Helene J Jordan
What to prepare and bring to Schole Monday Class:
1. Nature Journal
2. Bring Composition Sketch book ordered from the curriculum guide which will become an adventure journal which will be left at Schole each week. For Grade 2’s who used one last year, bring your journal from Grade 1.
3. Pencil box with pencil crayons, pencils, an eraser.