Class Name: Writing & Rhetoric Book 2
Zoom Class: Wednesday 11 – 11:45am https://redeemer.zoom.us/j/97873490131
Tutor: Monica Hielema
This week’s focus: Lesson 1 All Kinds of Stories
For Parent: This is a bi-weekly class. Pace the assigned lesson over two weeks. I am available for an optional meeting over Zoom, same time and Zoom room, on the week we don’t have our Zoom class for any questions from parent or student. Please email in advance.
Objectives for Fable exercises found in book:
1. Expose students to different forms of narrative writing.
2. Model fluent reading for students and give them practice reading short texts.
3. Give students practice copying texts accurately.
4. Strengthen working memory through dictation, thus improving storage and manipulation of information.
5. Increase understanding of the flexibility and copiousness of language through sentence manipulation.
6. Facilitate student interaction with well-written texts through question and answer and through exercises in summary and amplification.
7. Give students opportunity to creatively imitate sentences and narrative sections.
8. Introduce the concepts of plot (beginning, middle, and end), dialogue, and description.
In preparation for Schole Zoom class:
Begin LESSON 1:
• Read pages 1 to 4 becoming familiar with names of narratives.
• Tell it Back – narration
• Choose an example from your book shelf of one of the narrative forms introduced – fairy tale, myth, fable, parable, history (bring your selection to class)
During Wednesday’s Zoom class: narrative forms, TALK ABOUT IT, share narrative selections.
BRING TO CLASS:
• Small whiteboard and marker OR a clipboard with paper and marker.
• Narrative selection
• Writing and Rhetoric book
To be completed before September 27th:
• Complete Lesson 1 – page 5 to 9
ENRICHMENT – Extra resources for children and families who desire more
September Family Poem to Memorize http://www.calgaryclassicalschole.ca/wp-content/uploads/gravity_forms/1-3e0c424b174623071e187e08ff5fe3d4/2021/09/Persevere-September-poem.pdf
THIS MONTH’S ASSIGNMENT FOR SUBMISSION:
From Lesson 2 – ending to parable in first person point of view (to be assigned September 27th)
Due Date: October 8th
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions and submissions.