Class Name: Grade 8/9 Literature 2
This week’s focus: Context and Character
To be completed this week:
1. Ensure that your Story Chart of either The White Silence or Nobody’s Story is handed in as December’s Submission.
2. Read Chapters 1-3 of Animal Farm – by George Orwell
3. As you read, make notes or use this attachment to record all the characters introduced and some notes about his/her personality. (first two columns) https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eaw-fZs1Fyn4m4B_K3mb0-d1PwlYieHB5nMYfIU_VXY/edit?usp=sharing
4. Complete some research on the internet to answer the following questions about George Orwell in a notebook or blank paper.
How old was the author when he wrote the book?
Was the author happy or unhappy? Friendly or reclusive?
What kinds of relationships did the author have? Did he have a family?
Did the author suffer any hardships in his life that might have made him think or feel a certain way about what he was writing about?
Where did the author live? (city or countryside, or what city, in poverty or comfort)
When did the author live? What events took place during his lifetime?
5. Work on Chapter 8 in Art of Poetry. Tone: Putting it all together. Choose one poem which you analyze more in-depth.
JANUARY ASSIGNMENT FOR SUBMISSION
A reading response assignment will be posted next week, Jan. 8 for the book Animal Farm. It will be due on Jan 28th.
If you have any questions, please email me at email@example.com