Literature 1 THIS IS POSTED A WEEK EARLY IN CASE YOU NEED TO REFERENCE IT Jan 14 is the class
This week’s focus: THE HOBBIT begins!
To be completed this week:
Please begin reading The Hobbit, including the introduction.
Have at least three chapters read for Thursdays class.
We are looking at CHARACTER in this book. As your read, HIGHLIGHT/STICKY NOTES about Bilbo’s character.
Some of these questions will be harder to answer with only three chapters in, but keep them in mind…we will discuss these in class, try to have at least ONE quote to share that pertains to Bilbo’s character
Does he change? Does he show his character? How?
Do Bilbo’s priorities change over the course of the story?
Have a look at the author, J R R Tolkien, and do your best to answer these questions.
1. How old was the author when he wrote the book?
2. Was the author happy or unhappy? Friendly or reclusive?
3. What kinds of relationships did the author have? Did he have a family?
4. Did the author suffer any hardships in his life that might have made him think or feel a certain way about what he was writing about?
5. Where did the author live? (city or countryside, or what city, in poverty or comfort)
6. When did the author live? What events took place during his lifetime?
Work on Grammar of Poetry. IF you do a module a month, you will finish well. Work to start module 5 this week.
ENRICHMENT – Extra resources for children and families who desire more
Write a bio poem about JRR Tolkien.(biopoem template is in the resource library)
If you are artistically inclined, perhaps there is a scene or character you are drawn to that you may want to draw.
THIS MONTH’S ASSIGNMENT FOR SUBMISSION:
This assignment will be given following Thursday, January 7 class. IT will be due at the end of January.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions and submissions.
- This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by Karyn Booth.